The Construction Community
Construction is built on the principle of working together. Whether we’re building a home or a highrise, the fundamental requirements of the job remain the same: we can’t get the job done unless we all work together toward a common goal. It’s how each of us contributes to pulling the industry, and our communities, forward.
When it comes to inclusion and diversity, the world still has a long way to go. But our industry is living proof of the power of people coming together—we see it in the homes, the hospitals, and the schools our industry builds.
One of the main reasons I love this industry is that it is inherently about people, and more specifically, how success is directly correlated to how well people work collaboratively. And it’s why I’m confident that together, we can drive meaningful change.
Procore’s Global Community
Since its founding, Procore has remained committed to its vision of improving the lives of everyone in construction. At its core, our vision is founded on inclusion, with the commitment to every person in the industry—regardless of race, gender, background, or beliefs—to enable them to do their best work.
Inclusion and diversity have long been ingrained into the cultural fabric of Procore. And in the past year, we have strengthened our internal inclusion and diversity efforts by adding even more resources and programming for our employees. We have also looked at what we can do to provide resources and support to the industry as a whole.
I recognize that there is still much work to do in both the technology and construction industries. It’s why Procore, and I personally, are actively working to cultivate an inclusive culture that drives diversity. In order to make a lasting and systemic impact, we must continue to listen, learn, and keep the conversation going.
Living Our Values
At Procore, we have three core values that drive our efforts: openness, ownership, and optimism. They guide us in everything we do—and this is especially true for our inclusion and diversity initiatives.
- Openness: We believe in creating the space to have open and honest conversations both at Procore and among industry peers. We also believe in being open to new ideas and ways of thinking.
- Ownership: We are taking actionable steps to drive an even more inclusive culture at Procore and to improve diversity in the construction industry. This includes our Foundations for Progress webinar series, Building for Change blog series, our Inclusion and Diversity Resource Center, and more.
- Optimism: We are optimistic that together, we can create positive change—by continuing to lean in, listen, and support one another.
Inclusion & Diversity Pillars
Creating a vision for a more equitable future is only the first step. Much like construction, it takes going beyond the blueprint and actually doing the work—only then will we start to see real change.
At a high level, here is how we are actively building on our inclusion and diversity initiatives. Our Inclusion and Diversity department, led by Senior Director of Global Inclusion and Diversity Valerie Jackson, has centered our inclusion and diversity efforts around three pillars:
Goal: Increase the diversity of our workforce through hiring.
- Focusing on generating awareness.
- Increasing diverse candidate pools.
- Mitigating bias through inclusive hiring practices and processes.
2. People & Culture
Goal: Enhance the experience of all Procorians by building a more inclusive culture.
- Promoting workplace psychological safety through team exercises and increased unconscious bias training.
- Launching new events, affinity groups, and Employee Resource Groups.
- Creating virtual spaces to foster open dialogue around inclusion and diversity.
- Offering resources, tools, and training to equip managers and employees to have crucial conversations.
- Analyzing internal processes for equity and inclusiveness.
Goal: Create space and resources for our industry to lead, listen, and grow together.
- Offering our construction management platform, training resources, and educational materials to support nonprofit and educational organizations dedicated to serving underrepresented communities.
- Auditing our marketing initiatives to ensure they reflect the construction industry’s diversity.
- Shining a spotlight on the voices and stories of customers from underrepresented groups.
- Creating forums for customers, industry leaders, and partners to drive conversations and inspire action.
Procore is a people-first company—our customers, partners, and employees are at the center of everything we do. They drive our vision, mission, and values. They are the reason we believe so strongly in advancing inclusion and diversity in the workplace, both in the office and the field. Because in our industry, creating community empowers us to build better communities. We’re all in this together.
If you’d like to continue the conversation, we invite you to join us for our virtual Groundbreak event October 27-28, 2020 where we’ll have an engaging inclusion and diversity keynote and breakout sessions. Register Now and connect with the industry to learn, network, and innovate together.